Warriors contributed to U-19s success, says Khan

first_imgGEORGETOWN, Guyana (CMC): A leading Guyana Amazon Warriors official believes the franchise contributed to the success of the country’s Under-19 team’s recent success in the West Indies Cricket Board tournament staged in Jamaica. Omar Khan, the team operations manager, said four members of the title-winning squad had been a part of the Amazon Warriors set up during the recent Caribbean Premier League, and had benefited from important training and other vital career-enhancing information. “It is indeed very heartening to us in the Guyana Amazon Warriors team to follow the success and development of the Under-19 players who were part of the Guyana Amazon Warriors squad for the CPL 2015,” the Guyana Times quoted Khan as saying. “It must be noted that Shimron Hetmyer was selected as a full member of the Guyana Amazon Warriors team for the CPL and Keemo Paul, Sherfane Rutherford and Akshaya Persaud were all part of the training camp held prior to the CPL. The Under-19 players were given every opportunity to participate in all the activities of the Guyana Amazon Warriors camp and coach Carl Hooper himself spent a lot of time advising the Under-19 players on their respective game development,” Khan said. In last Sunday’s final, they beat Jamaica by four wickets to crown themselves champions for the second straight year.last_img read more

Read More →

Colombian fined for illegal entry

first_imgA Colombian national on Tuesday appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts slapped with fraud and illegal entry charges.Forty-eight-year-old Luis Eugenio Marcia Torres of Colombia made his first appearance before ChiefLuis TorrezMagistrate Ann McLennan.Torres through a translator pleaded not guilty to the charge which stated that on May 20, at Moleson Creek, Springlands, Corentyne, with intent to defraud, he uttered to a Police Constable, a Colombian passport in favour of himself. The passport contained a forged arrival and departure stamp, having being granted a Republic of Guyana tourist and business visa of the said passport purporting to show that it was issued by the Central Immigration and Passport Office, knowing same to be false.Torres however admitted to the other charge which read that on April 14, at Charity, Essequibo, he entered Guyana by sea and disembarked without the consent of an immigration officer.The foreigner was represented by Attorney Paul Fung-A-Fat, who told the court his client arrived in Guyana on April 14 on vacation. The lawyer stated that Torres passed through immigration when unknowing to him, a forged entry stamp was placed on his passport. According to the lawyer, it was not until Torres attempted to leave Guyana via Moleson Creek that he realised the error.Fung-A-Fat told the court that his client acknowledged his guilt for overstaying his time in Guyana. However, due to his lack of knowledge of the English language, he fell prey to scammers. Torres was granted $50,000 bail for the fraud charge and fined $20,000 for illegal entry.He is scheduled to return to court on June 1.last_img read more

Read More →

Vreed-en-Hoop residents affected by improper garbage disposal

first_imgResidents of Vreed-en-Hoop, West Coast Demerara (Region 3) are calling on the relevant authorities to implement a proper garbage disposal facility, as the community has been subjected to improper garbage disposal for a number of years.They blame this untenable situation on vendors who dispose of their refuse in an unacceptable manner.During the day, the area becomes crowded with small businesses and vendors,A section of the garbage at the ferry stellingwhom the residents believe are the architects of this garbage problem. The situation wherein commuters access speedboat taxis at the ferry stelling to cross the Demerara River is also being blamed for the garbage situation.Persons residing in the area have expressed concern at the amount of waste being dumped in the area by both visitors and those who use the stelling for their livelihood. They related that at the end of the day, when all have gone to their respective communities, the residents are the ones who remain in the garbage-filled environment and trenches. It is due to this that they experience flooding during the rainy season, as the drainage system becomes clogged, making it difficult for water to escape. As such, people find it difficult to get to work and school when it floods.“I ain’t know what to say about this garbage problem! (It is) very, very disturbing, because we are the persons living in it. They go away, but we have to see it all the time, not only on the road corner, but in the trench,” said a resident who has requested anonymity.Another resident of the area has pointed out that vendors are not the only ones littering the environment, those who live in the area are doing likewise. Instead of paying for garbage disposal, they dispose of all the household waste in the trenches. Plastic materials, Styrofoam containers and animal carcasses are dumped in the drains and remain lodged, creating an awful smell.She stated, “They don’t want to pay for the garbage truck to pick up their garbage, most of them; so they throwing it in the trench, and it blocking up. Most days when the rain fall, my yard does be (flooded).”Vreed-en-Hoop residents are calling on the authorities in charge to take action against persons who dispose of garbage in an unsightly manner, jeopardizing their health and well-being. Persons residing in the area have demanded that the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) address this matter at the earliest.last_img read more

Read More →

Big Bam opens for night skiing

first_imgThe Big Bam Ski Hill is now open for night skiing.Starting this week, Big Bam will be open from 7-10 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings.As well, the hill in Taylor will continue to operate on weekends, from 10-4, for as long as the snow lasts.- Advertisement -Visit www.bigbam.ca for more.last_img

Read More →

Local Precipitation Numbers

first_imgIf today’s forecast is accurate it looks like the Fort St. John region will officially finish the month of May with 46.6 millimeters of precipitation.That’s 6.8 millimeters above the monthly average and we received 80 percent of it, in two days, as a result of 18.8 millimeters of rain and 18.4 centimeters of snow from the same storm on the 21st and 22nd.That noted Environment Canada also says the calendar year precipitation total for the area is now up to 114.5 millimeters.- Advertisement -That however, is still 13.3 less than the five month norm of 127.8 millimeters, and if we’re going to get even with the average, after six months, we’ll need to get 84.7 millimeters in June.last_img

Read More →

Grande Prairie RCMP investigate use of counterfeit currency

first_imgGRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – Recently, the Grande Prairie RCMP have been responding to several incidents where counterfeit Canadian currency is being used at multiple businesses in the area.According to RCMP, they have approximately 20 reported incidents where paper dollar bills where counterfeit bills, in a variety of denominations, have been used to pay for goods at local businesses.Police say the suspects will fold the bill in half with the transparent side down in an effort to hide the abnormalities of the currency.- Advertisement -The RCMP would like to advise the public that these types of incidents are occurring locally.Investigations into these incidents are on-going.If you have any information on counterfeit currency, you are being asked to call the Grande Prairie RCMP at 780-830-5700 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Northern Environmental Action Team presents Energy Explorers

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Northern Environmental Action Team (NEAT) is pleased to be presenting Energy Explorers.Energy Explorers provides the opportunity for students to learn from experts and explore energy across the Canadian landscape, stopping in Fort St. John, Thursday, October 17th and Friday, October 18th, 2019.This year’s line up includes The Mobile Escape Room, Anisha Amin, a Nuclear Ph.D. student from the University of Calgary, and Jeff Quibell from the BC Geothermal Board, along with local expertise from Peace Energy Cooperative, Pacific Northern Gas, Pembina Pipeline, and TC Energy. – Advertisement -Energy Explorers will be open to the public on Thursday, October 17th from 5:00 pm -8:00 pm in conjunction with the City of Fort St John’s Live it Green. Participants can check out the Canadian Geographic’s Energy Map and the Mobile Escape Room, or tour the Passive House and Water Treatment. This is a free evening and is open to all. Grab a passport and get exploring! “Providing a hands-on opportunity to learn about energy in our community is an important part of raising well-educated citizens,” says Karen Mason-Bennett, NEAT’s Executive Director. “We wanted to offer a safe learning space and the ability to ask the tough questions. There’s a strong desire to have conversations about our local energy landscape and we’ve got a great line up to support energy literate citizens.” Advertisement For more information, please contact Susan at NEAT – 250-785-6328 or susan@neat.ca. Energy Explorers is brought to you by NEAT, the City of Fort St. John, Pacific Northern Gas, Encana, TC Energy, Pembina Pipeline, AltaGas – Bear Mountain, and the University of Calgary.last_img read more

Read More →

Bale has to be the player we know he is – Zidane

first_img0Shares0000Gareth Bale impressed in Real Madrid’s 3-1 win over Celta Vigo last weekend. © AFP/File / MIGUEL RIOPAMADRID, Spain, Aug 23 – Zinedine Zidane has challenged Gareth Bale to show why he is still one of the world’s best players as he continues his reintegration at Real Madrid.Bale, 30, was a surprise inclusion in the starting line-up against Celta Vigo last weekend, when Madrid opened with an impressive 3-1 win in La Liga and Bale was arguably man of the match. Zidane said in July it would be “best for everyone” if Bale left Madrid this summer but the Welshman has been eager to stay and appears to be regaining the confidence of his coach.“What has changed is that the player is going to stay, nothing more,” Zidane said in a press conference on Friday, ahead of Saturday’s game at home to Real Valladolid.“The important thing is the player wants to stay. It’s true that a lot was said about him, by me as well, but he is going to stay.“He is a great player, he has shown that before and he has to show it again. He has to be the player we know that he is.”Bale’s start in Vigo came after Eden Hazard sustained a thigh injury in training and it remains to be seen if he can keep his place when the Belgian returns after the international break.“Bale played well the other day, a great match overall but also his level defensively was very high,” said Zidane.“He worked hard and we have to continue in this way, Gareth, everyone, they are all going to be important.”– ‘Can’t wait for September 2’ –The transfer window in Spain does not close until September 2 and Zidane was asked about the future of goalkeeper Keylor Navas, as well as Real Madrid’s pursuit of Paris Saint-Germain striker Neymar.Barcelona and Madrid are both chasing Neymar but neither have agreed a deal with PSG, who reportedly set Barca a deadline of Friday to present a suitable offer.“The players I have are the ones that are here. Everything else, anything can happen until September 2. Some can arrive, some can go,” Zidane said.“For that reason I can’t wait for September 2 so you won’t ask me about this anymore.”Navas has lost out to Thibaut Courtois in the battle for the number one goalkeeper spot and the Costa Rican is believed to be seeking a move before the window closes.“He has not told me he wants to leave,” Zidane said. “I am not contemplating him leaving, not at all. “He is here, he wants to be here and he is working in that way. He has always been professional.”0Shares0000(Visited 15 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More →

You’ve said `I do’ – so say `I don’t’ to debt

first_imgFinally, $12,000 won’t rescue you. It will only delay the inevitable. The key for you going forward is to learn how to manage your finances. Do that and you won’t need the 12-large. So, let’s begin. You mention an ATV in your letter. I believe at this point it would be best to sell the ATV. It’s really not an essential and you may either eliminate a payment or free up some cash to apply to other bills. Next, I want you to contact the lenders who are about to sue you and work out a repayment plan you can afford to keep up. Also, be sure to research the possibility of consolidating your student loans and see if it would lower your monthly obligation. Otherwise, you must make room in your budget to pay them. You may have to make some significant lifestyle changes, at least for a little while, to get back in control of your student loans, credit cards and other obligations. Free up some cash Consider a move to less expensive housing. If you are renting, downsize to fewer bedrooms or an efficiency size. Cut back on food expenses. Don’t dine out. Clip coupons, buy store brands and never shop when you are hungry. Ask for overtime at work and search for a higher-paying or part-time job. This may be the most important of all – you must stop using credit cards. If you are using them to extend your income, you are digging a deeper hole every day and you need to throw away the shovel now. Finally, I think you need to listen to your bride a bit more. I’ll bet she didn’t force you to buy the ATV, and since she got you to write to me, I know she must have a lot of good sense. If you are overwhelmed and can’t make the first move to correct your situation, consider visiting with a qualified credit counselor. A counselor can help you understand past mistakes and create a plan toward a healthy financial future. You can find a good one at www.aiccca.org. Steve Bucci is president of Money Management International Financial Education Foundation. Visit www.moneymanagement.org for additional debt advice. If you have a question for Steve, e-mail debtadviser@bankrate.com. The Debt Adviser is a weekly feature of bankrate.com.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Steve Bucci BANKRATE.COM Question: My wife and I have been married for one year. We both were still attending college when we got married, but now student loans, credit cards, an ATV and a few other small bills have become way overdue. It would take $12,000 to rescue us. Two of our creditors are going to sue soon. I hate to ruin our credit over such a small debt, but we have nothing to put up for collateral, no parents with good credit and no other options. Is it true as long as we are paying something that they can’t sue us? Any advice would be a blessing. – RODNEY Answer: I’ll bet you didn’t think married life was going to be like this. The dreams and hopes that lead a couple to marry are fragile things. Everyone I know roots for the newlyweds in hopes they will get it right faster than those who came before them. Your finances, and maybe your marriage, have a ding or two, but I think I can help. Take a deep breath. Let’s begin by using some simple common sense and the research skills you acquired in college to debunk myths. Do some research and you will find that you most certainly can be sued if you don’t pay exactly what you promised and on the date due. The old maxim that says, “if it sounds too good to be true,” really is true! Next, I want you to research what makes up good credit. You will find yours is tarnished already. So, your worries about ruining your credit when you believe you are about to be sued is like closing the barn door after the horse has left the stable. If you are “way overdue” on payments, the damage to your credit has already begun. It could, of course, get worse, but real damage has already been done. last_img read more

Read More →

Assembly OKs health-care reform

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champSchwarzenegger and Nu ez, however, appeared confident. “California has taken a giant step forward today on something that many people thought could not be done,” Republican Gov. Schwarzenegger told hundreds of people assembled in the grand Capitol rotunda after the vote. “This is truly an historic effort,” added Nu ez. The plan would create a new requirement that people carry insurance or potentially face a fine. To help ease that burden, lower-income people would be eligible for free or subsidized coverage depending on their income. To pay for the estimated $14.7billion plan, new taxes would be levied on hospitals and tobacco, and the state would attempt to draw billions in new dollars from the federal government. Altogether it aims to cover more than 70 percent of the roughly 6.6 million million Californians uninsured for all or part of the year. It also requires insurers to accept all customers regardless of pre-existing medical conditions. SACRAMENTO – The state Assembly on Monday approved a sweeping health reform plan that could be a model for the nation – if it ever happens. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Assembly Speaker Fabian Nu ez celebrated the “historic” deal, which culminates nearly a year’s worth of negotiating that has dominated the Capitol this year. But the plan is far from reality. Senate leader Don Perata, D-Oakland, insisted again Monday that he will not allow the Senate to vote on the plan, which would provide insurance to more than two-thirds of the state’s uninsured, until after the state’s independent legislative analyst examines its impact on the state’s budget deficit, now estimated at $14billion. The plan also still must be approved by voters because it proposes a number of taxes to fund it, including a requirement on employers to either provide insurance or pay a tax on payroll that would go into a state pool, as well as a hefty cigarette tax. An election campaign is sure to be costly and contentious. But as ambitious as the plan is, it may not make it further than Monday’s 46-31 party-line vote. Perata – echoing a concern voiced by Assembly Republicans – says it would be a mistake to create a new health care program with the state’s finances in peril. Perata is especially concerned about existing health programs potentially on the chopping block. If Perata does not relent soon, it could doom the proposal. Supporters are already running behind schedule to meet a series of deadlines to qualify an initiative for the November ballot. Beyond that, the political dynamics could shift dramatically next year, as the budget dominates the statehouse agenda to the detriment of other issues. Perhaps the most far-reaching part of the plan is the so-called individual mandate to carry insurance, much like drivers have to carry auto insurance. The goal is to push as many people as possible into the insurance market, lowering costs for everyone. But the governor spent months debating how to make it fair for families already struggling to get by.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →