Man Utd Refutes Zidane’s Link

first_imgSenior sources at United have dismissed any interest in Zidane, however, insisting that there is no potential vacancy to discuss.Mourinho signed a new United contract in January, extending his stay at Old Trafford until 2020 with the option of a furtherThe Portuguese hoped to add a central defender and a wide player to his squad during the summer transfer window but was left disappointed on both counts.United made only three signings – midfielder Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk, teenage full-back Diogo Dalot from Porto and reserve goalkeeper Lee Grant.It is understood that while Mourinho wished to sign experienced players at the peak of their careers, executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward sought younger players who could be developed.On Monday night, the former United full-back Gary Neville criticised Woodward, claiming he should have backed his manager in the transfer market.“The minute he gave Mourinho a contract extension in January, he had to buy him centre-backs,” he told Sky Sports.“(Toby) Alderweireld and (Harry) Maguire would have been good options. If it costs £120 million, that’s what you have to do.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The leadership of Manchester United has given its full support for Jose Mourinho to continue on the saddle despite speculations that former Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane may be signed on.United’s first Premier League away trip of the season ended in a 3-2 defeat at Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday.The poor result and lacklustre performance followed a summer of tension and frustration at United, with Mourinho disappointed by a lack of support in the transfer market.last_img read more

Read More →

Shafer declines to discuss NCAA investigation at press conference after returning from Chicago hearing

first_img Published on October 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm Contact Phil: pmdabbra@syr.edu | @PhilDAbb Facebook Twitter Google+ Scott Shafer stepped up to the podium at 6:03 p.m. and began his opening statement about Syracuse’s upcoming game with North Carolina State.His weekly Thursday press conference in Manley Field House’s Iocolano-Petty Football Wing auditorium had been rescheduled from its usual 10 a.m. start time because he had to travel to Chicago and back for a hearing regarding the NCAA’s investigation of Syracuse’s football and basketball programs.As Shafer summed up his opening remarks about Saturday’s game, he addressed the elephant in the room before it could be addressed to him.“With regards to today, I know you guys probably have questions,” Shafer said, “I’m not going to talk about the NCAA matters other than to say that I had a good trip out there earlier this morning, got back for meetings and practice today and I feel great about our situation. I feel great about my time here at Syracuse and we’ll just let that process take care of itself and focus on this N.C. State game.”A couple of minutes after the press conference began, Shafer was asked to comment on which time period in SU’s football program the NCAA is investigating. Shafer declined and reiterated that he wouldn’t discuss it.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe first question Shafer fielded was about how much harder the trip to Chicago made his job as a head coach.“It doesn’t. Fortunately or unfortunately, as Missy knows, we in college football are used to that kind of day,” Shafer said, referring to his wife, who was in attendance of the press conference. “Getting up early in the wee hours of the morning, jumping on an airplane, running around chasing 18-year-old kids and hustling back and coaching football.“… For me, it just felt like a quick recruiting trip, except once I got there, I didn’t have to work at all. I just got to be a spectator and watch and listen.”Shafer also said he simply worked harder earlier in the week to prepare for N.C. State in anticipation of having to leave.“To be quite honest with you, my preparation for the game is probably the most overrated on the staff,” Shafer said. “The guys that really do the work are my coordinators and my assistant coaches, the young coaches and more importantly, the kids.“I just try to manage things and I’m sure they were glad that I was out of the office,” Shafer said, prompting a bit of laughter from his audience, “for a few hours this morning.” Commentslast_img read more

Read More →

Asante, Dauda named in Ghana’s starting line-up against Liberia

first_imgGoalkeeper Fatau Dauda and winger Solomon Asante have been handed their first Ghana starts for Tuesday’s friendly against Liberia.The two home-based players were named in coach Kwesi Appiah’s starting line-up team for the game in Monrovia.Dauda takes the place Adam Kwarasey while Asante gets the chance to impress with Andre Ayew on the bench.Jerry Akaminko takes the place of Isaac Vorsah in central defence while Derek Boateng returns to the starting line-up.The Black Stars play the Lone Star to mark Liberia’s independence anniversary.The match will kick off at 1600 GMT. Starting line-up: Fatau Dauda, Samuel Inkoom, Razak Nuhu, John Boye, Jerry Akaminko, Anthony Annan, Solomon Asante, Derek Boateng, Asamoah Gyan, Kwadwo Asamoah, Christian Atsu.Subs: Ernest Sowah, Rashid Sumaila, Isaac Coffie, Andre Ayew, Jordan Ayew, Abdul Majeed Waris, Richmond Boakye Yiadom.last_img read more

Read More →

Dodgers are winning with hidden gems, not just high-buck stars

first_imgIt’s fashionable in baseball to complain that the players just aren’t there. Friedman and Zaidi believe in innocent until proven guilty. There are, in fact, a ton of players who can help as long as they’re not overexposed.“You hear the term Quadruple A or 4-A sometimes,” Zaidi said. “But if a guy has been successful in Triple-A he might have what it takes to succeed up here.”Segedin hit .484 with an impossible OPS of 1.309 when he was a junior at Tulane. Since Friedman is a Tulane alum, the Dodgers noticed Segedin. But they kept noticing him when he was sent down to Double A by the Yankees last year and strongly considered retirement.Toles was dismissed by Tennessee and suspended from his Florida community college team, Chipola College, before Tampa Bay, with Friedman at the helm, drafted him. After Friedman went to the Dodgers, Toles was released. The Dodgers’ computer beeped.Dayton was trapped in the Marlins system, but was good enough at one time to pitch in the Arizona Fall League, where Friedman and Zaidi saw him and his hard, left-hand stuff. A recommendation from scout Bill Latham helped persuade the Dodgers to give up former first-round pick Chris Reed for Dayton.“A lot of credit goes to (manager) Bill Haselman and (batting coach) Shawn Wooten at Oklahoma City,” Zaidi said, “along with Bill Simas and Matt Herges, our pitching coaches at Tulsa and Oklahoma City. They got these guys ready to produce on this level.“And (farm director) Gabe Kapler was the driving force with Toles. He stayed in touch with him even after he’d been released and he kept pounding the table for him.”Segedin, 27, made his MLB debut on Aug. 7 and collected four RBIs against Boston’s David Price. He later homered off the Giants’ Madison Bumgarner to give L.A. a two-game lead.Toles, 24, has been hitting throughout, but on Aug. 31 his grand slam at Colorado finished a comeback from an 8-2 hole and gave the Dodgers a signature 10-8 win.Dayton, 28, has needed 19 1/3 innings to become the top left-hand reliever. He has struck out 25 and given up eight hits.Behind it all is manager Dave Roberts, who had never managed before and was presumed to be a front office puppet.“He gets my vote for manager of the year,’ Zaidi said. “He’s dealt with so much and he’s shown the qualities we saw when he hired him, great competitiveness and toughness, and yet a positive way of dealing with everything.”And maybe that’s the one plan that works for the Dodgers. Come with us and hit, field, pitch, travel, meet new people. That is why the city is getting excited, against its better judgment, over the Dodgers’ legitimate stars, but also their minor-league refugees; the ones they rescued from Trenton, Port Charlotte and Jacksonville.Through Wednesday, the Dodgers led San Francisco by four games in the National League West. They were 6 1/2 back at the All-Star break. They went 37-24 after Clayton Kershaw, their one and only Essential Man, got hurt.They have set the National League record for players on the disabled list. They have used 54 players on the major league level. Nine of their past 11 games have been started by rookie pitchers. And at Oklahoma City, the Triple-A outlet, there have been 59 batters (some of whom were pitchers) and 51 pitchers. Still, the club made the playoffs.“You look at our Triple-A stats and they just go off the page,” general manager Farhan Zaidi said. “But if we feel a player can help us, we’re going to give him that chance. Sometimes you’d say, well, he’s not on the 40-man roster, but we’ve been finding ways to include them.”The Dodgers have the most stable eight-man lineup since Zaidi and Andrew Friedman, the president of baseball operations, took over in 2014. But Segedin, Toles and Dayton, among others, represent the return of Moneyball, the thrift-store method Oakland’s Billy Beane used to augment his core players, and a concept that reached Hollywood just in time to fill theaters and become widely misunderstood. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img They weren’t supposed to win like this.They were supposed to collect the gaudiest cards in the Strat-O-Matic deck even if the payroll surpassed Monaco’s GDP. They were supposed to hold a take-a-number bazaar at the Winter Meetings and watch the free agents line up for days.So that is why Dodgers fans are high-fiving over Rob Segedin and using their phone cameras on Andrew Toles and sitting there hoping Grant Dayton comes in. That is why they keep their eyes trained on the radar gun when Brock Stewart pitches.last_img read more

Read More →

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Whitewater BC Winter Games Team

first_imgWhitewater skiers were part of the 1,700 athletes at the provincial meet.Sophie Hickson (SL), Aliza Jones (GS), and Zarah Murray (SL) placed 18th, 20th, and 39th respectively, while Liam Lazier and Troy Bellman came in 23rd and 20th in GS.Henry Leishman, finished 13th in Slalom while Yael Ooshuizen took ninth in the same event.Mallards Source for sports would like to honour the Whitewater skiers with Team of the Week acolades.The team includes,Troy Bellman, Aliza Jones,  Zarah Murray, Sophie Hickson, Liam Lazier, Henry Leishman and Yael Oosthuizen. Whitewater Ski Team sent a large contingent of skiers to compete at the recent BC Winters Games in Penticton.last_img

Read More →

Granada got a comeback almost a year later

first_imgIn fact, the victory before the parakeet set is the first of the season in which Rui Silva had to pick up the ball from the net. In the previous seven wins there was a common denominator: the goal remained to zero This happened in front of Espanyol (0-3), Celta (0-2), Barcelona (2-0), Leganés (1-0), Osasuna (1-0), Betis (1-0) and Mallorca (1-0). Even more merit for a team than with 30 points and in cupboards You can be very proud of the season you are carrying out.The Pomegranate has gotten into the quarterfinals after having passed four rounds and without completing any comeback. In the first against L’Hospitalet started losing by 0-2 and it was to cover tie before the end of the crash. Already in the extension, Ramos achieved both the classification. In Tamaraceite the team did not suffer and beat by 0-1, but both in Badalona and in Badajoz Granada was not able to maintain its partial victory.Carlos is already the top scorerWith both against Mallorca, Carlos Fernández is already the top scorer of the team. The Sevillian has six goals in 22 games with Granada. In Primera he has already scored four goals in 19 games played, while in Copa del Rey there have been two goals in four games. Behind him, Antonio Puertas, until now top scorer of the team, who has five goals in 25 games between League and Cup. EI Pomegranate added to Espanyol his eighth victory of the season in LaLiga, but the first in which Martínez’s were able to turn around yet adverse marker. Because in the other seven, the wind blew it in favor of the Nasrids. In this, however, the team overcame De Thomas to add three points that bring him closer to the goal of salvation. The last time that he rojiblanco set I achieved one comeback in the league it was last year, in the victory in the Archangel against Cordoba (1-2), with goals from Loureiro in own goal and Vico.Maybe that inability for flip a result against was he must that this Granada was missing. He was close to getting it in front of the Villarreal (4-4), Valladolid (1-1) and Atlético (1-1) and had to settle for the tie. Interestingly, the three games in which you have signed the tables It started with the score against. But against Espanyol, and despite the accumulation of cupping minutes, he did not lose his face to the game and the comeback ended.last_img read more

Read More →

Man stabbed to death at Bourda Market

first_img–16-year-old suspect captured after fleeing scenePolice in Georgetown are probing the stabbing death of a man at Bourda Market, Georgetown, after he was involved in an argument with another man.The dead man was identified as Omesh “Blackboy” Chetram, 34, of Unity, Mahaica, East Coast Demerara (ECD), who usually does oddjobs in the market.A Police report stated that the incident occurred sometime between 23:30h Saturday and 01:30h Sunday on Robb Street, between Bourda and Alexander Streets, Georgetown.“Enquiries disclosed that the deceased had an argument with a male, during which the suspect stabbed him in the lower region of his abdomen with a knife and escaped,” the report stated.The injured man was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead.Meanwhile, an eyewitness who spoke with this publication stated that the man was stabbed by a teenager who sells at the market nightly with his mother.According to the eyewitness, who asked to remain anonymous, Chetram, who is usually armed with a cutlass, was in front of the stall of the teenager’s mother when he was confronted by the young man who asked him to remove. However an argument ensued and Chetram whipped out his cutlass, threatening the teenager. In retaliation, the young man reportedly grabbed a knife from a nearby stall and dealt the man a stab to the abdomen.The eyewitness said that after the man fell, the teenager fled the scene. Police later came and arrested several persons who were in the vicinity.Commander (ag) of Police A Division (Georgetown/ East Bank Demerara), Marlon Chapman, on Sunday confirmed that the suspect was arrested at about 13:00h.Chetram has had several brushes with the law, including incidents of break and enter and larceny: On August 25 he was before the courts for breaking and entering a shop in the Bourda area.last_img read more

Read More →

Fort St. John Power Outage

first_img **Update – As of 8:45am, power has been restored.- Advertisement – BC Hydro estimates it will be nine o’clock before all 3,567 customers impacted by a Fort St. John power outage this morning will have service restored.Hydro’s Dan Von Holland says the problem has been pinpointed to a power pole, in the area of the Fort St. John hospital…[asset|aid=2839|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=40adefdb85c9830d3fbd5d057d315a07-Dan Von Holland_1_Pub.mp3] Hydro’s website indicates the outage began at 5:42 this morning and the area impacted is North of 79th avenue…South of 115th avenue…East of 108th street…and West of 78th street.last_img

Read More →

School dance on tap at Magic Mountain

first_imgVALENCIA – A quarter-century ago, somebody thought it might be good to put a badge behind a band and show area teens a good time. At 7 p.m. Friday, that tradition will continue with the 25th annual All School Dance sponsored by the Santa Clarita Valley sheriff’s station at Six Flags California’s Magic Mountain. “It’s a chance for the kids to get to see us outside of our patrol cars and off campus,” Deputy Pat O’Neill said. “It’s a secure place, so parents know their kids are safe and everybody has a good time.” Disc jockey Mike Diaz will provide music and a light show. Partygoers will get unlimited rides on the Riddler’s Revenge roller coaster. Guests will be eligible to win iPods and other raffle prizes and food will be available for sale. The dance is open to Santa Clarita Valley students in the eighth through 12th grades. Students must bring school identification to buy tickets, which will be available at the park’s back gate Friday night. Tickets are $5 per person. Gates will open at 7 p.m. and the dance will conclude at 11 p.m. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant “Deputies will patrol the parking lots and will stay until all the kids have been picked up,” O’Neill said. Dress code isn’t as fancy as prom night, but O’Neill stressed that no gang attire would be allowed. For additional information on the dance, contact O’Neill at (661) 799-5154. Carol Rock, (661) 257-5252 carol.rock@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →

TOP OF THE CLASS! KILMACRENNAN NATIONAL SCHOOL WIN DONEGAL DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP!

first_imgFEATURES: Kilmacrennan N.S. have been crowned the inaugural winners of the County Donegal Primary Schools Debating Championship. Congratulations to all involved on their success on the day. Ballylast N.S were their worthy opponents in the Donegal final, with both teams providing an entertaining debate. Kilmacrennan N.S. successfully carried the motion that ‘Charity begins at Home’. The school are now representing the county in the regional inter-county competition and the team, all comprised of pupils from Mr Gallagher’s fifth class, enjoyed further success against a team from Kinlough N.S, debating the motion that plastic bags should be banned completely.Caitlin O Hara was selected as most impressive speaker on the day.All roads now lead to the Regional Final in the Great Northern Hotel on Tuesday, 24th May where Ballinamore N.S, representing Carrick-On-Shannon Education Centre will provide opposition.Good Luck to all! TOP OF THE CLASS! KILMACRENNAN NATIONAL SCHOOL WIN DONEGAL DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP! was last modified: May 17th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:educationFeaturesKILMACRENNAN NSlast_img read more

Read More →